Texas series,

fastball

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am praying that we win one game. Darvish, Hamels, and then Gallardo vs Griffin. I don't think any of the matchups favor us on paper.

Darvish missed 2015 with TJ and made 3 starts before going back on the DL in May with shoulder issues. He has made one start since coming back. I have hopes against him, plus the last time we saw him we won in the playoffs.

Really tough matchups.

Darvish last 3 since coming off DL: .210/.265/.403 - .668 OPS, 26 SO in only 16 1/3 IP. 3.31 ERA. He's gone 6 IP his last 2 outings. The Rangers bullpen is improved with the addition of Jeffress.

Bundy is going to have to be near perfect unless the O's offense somehow gets off the snide against one of the best pitchers in the game.

Hamels is going to be another tough one. Plus lefty against the O's can be trouble. In July: 3.64 ERA .254/.328 /.381 - .710 OPS. Gausman is really going to have to rebound from a terrible outing against the Jays.

And finally Gallardo vs. Griffin. Griffin has had a really poor July going .287/.376/.521 - .897 OPS with a 5.84 ERA against. But Gallardo has been just as bad: .289/.397/.471 - .868 OPS, 5.63 ERA. He's walked 22 batters in only 32 IP in 6 games. He's also allowed 5 homers.

This is going to be a really tough series. Hopefully their home magic will continue, but they are running into a buzz saw.

The Rangers in July: .262/.318/.451 - .768 OPS with 110 R scored in 26 G. So they averaged 4.2 R/G before adding Carlos Beltran and Jonathon Lucroy.

So great pitching and above averaging pitching coming to Camden Yards. The O's offense is going to have to wake up or this could be another repeat of the Toronto series.

o

A week and-a-half ago, the Orioles had a daunting matchup against the Indians, who had 3 solid starting pitchers going against them along with a solid Indians offense.

The Orioles were really struggling as a team heading into that Indians series, having lost 4 straight games before salvaging the final game of the Yankees series.

The Orioles swept that series against the Indians.

I'll be happy if the Orioles win tonight's game, and then take it from there.

o

We're the best team in baseball at home, while the Rangers are not as strong on the road as at home.

So I'm hoping for 2 out of 3 here.

But they obviously are a tough opponent with a great lineup. Our bats are going to have to awaken from their comas. And they have some tough pitchers to do it against.

Our one huge advantage of course is the bullpen. Texas's is a steaming pile of crap. Or, I guess now, a steaming pile of crap plus Jeremy Jeffress.

Keep it close and win late.

We're the best team in baseball at home, while the Rangers are not as strong on the road as at home.

So I'm hoping for 2 out of 3 here.

But they obviously are a tough opponent with a great lineup. Our bats are going to have to awaken from their comas. And they have some tough pitchers to do it against.

Our one huge advantage of course is the bullpen. Texas's is a steaming pile of crap. Or, I guess now, a steaming pile of crap plus Jeremy Jeffress.

Keep it close and win late.

It seems worse than it really is. They have the following in their pen:

Sam Dyson: 2.42 ERA

Tony Barnette: 2.08 ERA

Jake Diekman: 2.37 ERA

Matt Bush: 2.94 ERA

Jeremy Jeffress: 2.22 ERA

You have the other cannon fodder in there, but that is amazingly solid. The Orioles top 5:

Zach Britton: 0.60 ERA

Brad Brach: 1.13 ERA

Darren O'Day: 2.70 ERA

Vance Worley: 2.89 ERA

Mychal Givens: 3.59 ERA

The O's 1-2-3 punch of O'Day, Brach and Britton is more dominant than that of the Rangers. But by no means is their bullpen a steaming pile of crap unless you're just going off their bullpen's collective ERA.

Archived